Let us summarize the titles Bob has held in the past - Tim the Tool Man Taylor, Bob the Bambi Slayer, the Grill Meister, Chain Saw Massacre Man. Bob the Hunter has never been a title anyone who knows Bob would apply to him, expect for on those East River Nights, many, many moons ago, where Bob the Beer Bottle thrower could hit an East river rat on one throw. Well, now, it seems there is a rodent called a wood rat, which lives, where else - but in the woods - and in woodpiles. It resembles a regular rat with the exception it has a white underbelly like squirrels. I had to google this bit of info!! Bob first saw this cousin of a city rat during one of the blizzards back in the winter, proceeded to tell co-worker Dan about it, who being a kind co-worker, lends the soon-to-be hunter Bob his pellet pistol. Pellet pistol does not even begin to describe this thing that looks like something Clint Eastwood carried around in Dirty Harry! So, Hunter Bob waited ever so patiently, day in and day out, for the wood rat to resurface, so he could take it out with the pellet pistol. Lo and behold, when do you think that happened? But, of course, on Father's Day morning! I walk out on our top deck to get the squirrels off our bird feeders, and in the midst of 3 or 4 squirrels, there stands the wood rat! I would have thought squirrels would get along with other members of the rodent family, but that was not the case in our yard. The squirrels kept chasing the wood rat away from the bird seed on the ground, until one of them got really pissed and jumped on the back of the wood rat, who squealed and jumped about 12 inches off the ground! I found this quite entertaining, largely due to the fact that I was on our top deck, a good 20 feet (10 feet up and 10 feet away) from this spectacle!!! So, being the ever thoughtful wife that I am, I go back inside and tell Hunter Bob the wood rat is out. Hunter Bob proceeds to move faster than a speeding bullet to get the pellet gun, load and pump it, and come out onto the top deck where he has an unobstructed view of the wood rat. He aims and fires and damn if he doesn't hit the thing right between the eyes - I kid you not!!!! The pellet went in through the forehead and out the chin (at least that's what Hunter Bob said because the closest I was getting to the carcass was about 20'!!!!). I could see it went through the forehead but that was all I wanted to see. Now, lest you think Bob is unfeeling in this whole process, rat cousin or not, I do need to say he really doesn't like killing anything, as evidenced by his statement, "my stomach doesn't feel so good" after the kill!!!
Was I kidding about the size of this pellet pistol?? I'm surprised it didn't take off the wood rat's head!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment